From March 5 to 19, 1975, André corresponded with Angel
during his work assignment from Delhi to Bhutan. André was the first Canadian Government
CIDA Officer to visit Bhutan.
His recommendation to the Agency was: “Let them alone, they are happy! There is no need for involvement in development projects from foreign sources!”, This assessment didn’t necessarily please some Canadian officials!
![]() |
| Kingdom of Bhutan |
March 5, 1975
Angel, Love!
While waiting for the plane to Bagdogra - the gateway to North-East India and the Himalayas, and the Darjeeling district of West Bengal - with
three hours to spare, I decided to write to you.
Lately, my psychic condition makes it
difficult to be very talkative, especially during these past few days. This is
simply part of my nature—when I am under pressure, whether from work or other
causes, I tend to withdraw into myself. I know this is not ideal for you, as
you would like to share more, but please do not worry. Everything is fine with
me, just a little too much on my plate now. I hope that once this trip is over,
things will settle down, and I will be able to give both you and the
children—especially Eric—more attention.
Now, I will try to answer some of your questions about this journey. Today, from Bagdogra, , a car from Bhutan will pick me up and take me to Phuensholing, a town on the border between India and Bhutan. I will spend the night there. The following day, March 6th, I will drive to Paro, one of Bhutan's most important towns, and then continue my trip until March 14th, at which point I will drive to Darjeeling, back in India. During my time in Bhutan, I am the special guest of the Bhutanese government, so I will not have to pay for accommodation or expenses.
In Darjeeling, from the 14th to the 17th, I
will stay with several Canadian Jesuits who have received significant
assistance from CIDA. I will visit their projects during this period. If you
wish to write to me while I am there, you can do so care of Fr. Bruns, S.J. - Sharma
(Editorial note: One of my assistants at de CHC of Delhi).
On the 17th, I will drive back to Bagdogra
and fly to Calcutta. I will stay at the Oberoi Grand Hotel in Calcutta, and on
the 18th and 19th, I plan to visit several projects. I will return home on the
night of the 19th, thank God.
During my absence, please take good care of
yourself and the children. As soon as possible, try to hire a sweeper and a
gardener; I trust your judgment in making a good selection. Please inform
Thomas (Editorial not: our cook) that a repeat of yesterday’s actions
will not be tolerated—if it happens again, he will be dismissed. In any case,
let him know that I am extremely upset and will speak to him upon my return.
As soon as you can, contact Srinivasan (Editorial
note: One of my assistants at the CHC, Delhi) to arrange the paperwork for
Sunita's adoption. If possible, begin the process for Sunita’s passport with
help from the Indian Council. You will need photographs of Sunita, which have
already been taken at Shanthi Niketan, and there should be some for you as
well. These expenses can be reimbursed by the Canadian High Commission.
| Authentic Buthanese mandela - given in 1975 |
Above all, keep smiling. God loves us, and
I love you infinitely. I realize I do not express this as often as I once did,
but I will try to change that going forward. Infinite kisses to you and the
children.

No comments:
Post a Comment