January 2021

 

January 1, 2021

50 years ago

For us, 1971 had been a very special year. Our religious marriage, Eric’s birth. That year, I made to myself a solemn vow, one of the 2 promises that, until now, I have kept secret.

Today, I am revealing one of them to you.

We are both at the General hospital of Ottawa. April 17th, you were giving birth to Eric. It was so painful and taking so long. Many hours of lengthy contractions. Finally, our old doctor told us that you had to go through a cesarian.

For me extreme fear and anxiety! For you, was it insouciance, fatalism, bravery, immense trust in our mutual love? One thing is sure. The attendants brought you in chirurgical block. You had a smile on your face.

I went for a long walk. It was night. Dalhousie street was deserted, cold, wet. Alone, I cried all the tears of my body, and I made an oath.

ALWAYS, ETERNALLY, I WILL SUPPORT, CHERISH AND LOVE YOU WITH ALL THE FIBRES OF MY BEING.

In 2021, my promise is still very much alive...  being stronger.

I love you so much!

André




No comments:

Post a Comment