August 22, 1969
(22)
Montreal
Angel my Darling, my wife, I am extremely worried, having
heard nothing from you in three weeks.
Today is Friday, and I was hoping to finally receive
something, but there is absolutely nothing. I will have to wait until Monday
since the mailman does not work on Saturdays and Sundays. Many reasons and
possibilities come to mind for this silence, yet I never doubt you or your
family's goodwill. If you cannot write, it must be because of your community.
Oh Angel, if you are suffering, I wish I could be with you to help and comfort
you. Just moments ago, I sent an aerogram to Anasuya, begging her to find out
what is happening and write back to me. I hope her answer will come quickly.
In my 21st letter, I mentioned your brother-in-law's letter. I have not yet written my response, as I was waiting for your reply to my 21st letter with more details on how to tell him about my laicization and its consequences for our wedding. Even if I do not hear from you next week, I will write to him, since he is expecting a quick answer.
![]() |
| Mary, Angel's sister and her husband, Marreddy |
This week, I completely severed ties with the Society of
Jesus. Last Saturday night, I went to the Procure and said my Mass there. On
Sunday, I returned to my family and have been at home since. Tomorrow
afternoon, I will go back to the Procure for a final talk with the father
superior and to say my last Mass on Sunday, then return home immediately.
Much of my week was spent preparing for my work starting
September 1st. On Monday, I went with my mother and bought two suits for the
upcoming cold season. One is a very nice grey suit with stripes, and I also
bought a jacket and a leather winter coat. Suit: $69, jacket: $32, three pairs
of pants: $25, winter coat: $69 — totaling about $200. My mother paid for
everything; I felt uneasy, but as soon as I start working, I intend to
reimburse her for all she has spent.
On Wednesday, I returned to St. Jérôme for a short meeting
with my boss and received assurance about my teaching position in psychology,
though I have yet to sign the contract. I also met with other professors and
later with my students — 24 of them, aged between 20 and 30. I got a good impression
from them. During breaks between meetings, I searched for “boarding”, visiting
many places, all charging about $25 per week. I also investigated about bachelor
apartments at about $20 per week without meals. For ten months, boarding will
cost roughly $1,000, but privacy is a concern, especially in a small town like
St. Jérôme where everyone knows everyone and gossip is common, much like what we
experienced in the Philippines.
Something amusing happened: I placed an advertisement in the
newspaper for board, and the director of the socio-cultural organization at the
college called, not knowing it was me. His suggestion was that we rent an
apartment together and split expenses. It turns out I know him well — he is an
ex-Jesuit, about my age. Now, not only might we work together, but also live
together. However, we cannot rent in St. Jérôme itself; we need to rent outside
town, which requires having a car. My friend already has a car, but the
necessity for one became clear when I explained all this to my parents. There
was a small black Volkswagen I could buy for $700, but I wanted to wait and
reflect on the expense. My mother insisted, bought the car, and told me to
repay her when I am able. So now, Angel, I have a small car — not new, a 1963
Volkswagen, but it runs well. My greatest hope is for you to see this car and
sit in it. God, hear my prayer! Since my arrival, my parents have spent about
$1,000 on me (not counting meals), and they have been very generous. I feel
uncomfortable receiving so much at 35 years old, so I intend to repay them as
soon as I can.
Angel, my darling, I wonder what you are doing and feeling.
I wish I could be with you, ignored by your community. You cannot imagine how
much I long for you, waiting for that moment to smell your fragrance, hold you
forever, and kiss you tenderly a thousand times. Bala darling, I am your Husband,
and you are my wife. I am certain now that no other woman will ever come into
my life; you are my woman, my other half, my hope, and my reason for being.
Sweet Angel, I wonder if you feel as I do — so sad, almost
dying inside and out. We must keep living and smiling, even though we have no
one to share our sorrows. Let each minute bring us closer.
I paused for a moment, thinking about what would happen if
we could never meet again. My heart aches at the thought of waiting in the
house of a sibling, hoping for the opportunity to join you. It is a nightmare,
the possibility of our non-reunion, but a wonderful dream of our meeting again.
My mood swings between these extremes, and today, because it has been so long
since your last letter, I am sad and pessimistic. Yet hope — tremendous hope —
remains, because my love and faith in you are strong. I know love will win; it
is stronger than anything. So let us keep smiling, no matter how we feel.
| EAPI, Philippines - 1968 |
My beautiful princess, my darling Angel, please continue to
be prudent and wise in your process of liberation. I know you are doing your
best, but please write to me as much as you can. Your letters are the
nourishment of my life, and I need your presence, which only your words can
guarantee. There is a tension between my longing for your letters and
understanding the reality of your situation. If you cannot write, I know it is
impossible for you, but I must ask.
Here in Canada, summer is ending, and cool days are coming.
It will be my first autumn with its rich colors, followed by winter — strange
to see snow after nine years without it. Then comes spring, and with it, I
hope, you. I will work hard for you, try to get the job with SUCO, and
consolidate my position at the college (CEGEP Lionel-Groulx). This year will be
challenging, both as pastoral leader (a role students do not value and even
petitioned to remove) and as a psychology teacher. I must adapt to local
traditions and bureaucracy, and the students expect much from my course: Human
Relations, group dynamics, role-playing, T-group, and I plan to use the
"learning by doing" method, even though it is risky. Please pray I
succeed, as I may not continue as a professor if I cannot go to India as I
deeply wish.
My family is kind to me, and everyone knows about my
decision. They do not discuss it openly, but I sense some wondering, especially
from my brothers, about why I waited so long to leave. They do not know yet
that we met, but slowly the news will spread, as my parents and two sisters
already know. I am not worried about their reaction; they know that leaving the
Society and seeking laicization is not to remain a bachelor. Pierre, my
brother, jokingly suggested introducing me to someone, but I declined, saying
Canadian women do not interest me. Eventually, they will learn about my love
for you, and you will truly become part of the family.
Darling Angel, I hope your family is well. I hope your
mother and father understand your situation and are supporting you. I also hope
your younger brother's relationship with your parents is improving. Did you
speak to him? Please send my respect and best regards to your sister and
brother-in-law, and to all your family members.
With this letter, another week ends with us still far apart.
May the time until our reunion passes quickly, and may that moment become
eternity.
Your Husband, who KY infinitely, EY tenderly, HY with all my
love,
Na Prema, Na
jeevam, Na sarvam,
André PremAA
Last
week, it (Prema heart) was not on letter #21, I was writing it in front of my
father
August 28, 1969
(23)
Montreal
Angel Darling, my beloved wife, my love, my everything—
It has now been four weeks without any news from you. My
heart is filled with sadness and worry, imagining that something must have
happened. I fear that you have been sent far away, cut off from your family and
unable to contact me. The thought of you suffering through these trials pains
me deeply. I pray earnestly to the Lord to grant you strength to endure, and I
long for the day we can communicate once more. Your silence weighs heavily on
me, and I hope it is not due to illness. Even in the middle of the night, my
thoughts are with you, as if there is an invisible thread connecting us. I
sense you calling me, and in those moments, I wish with all my heart that you
could feel my presence and love. No matter what happens, I am with you always;
without you, I could not go on.
Though I fear you may not receive this letter as before, I
will continue to write. I trust your family will keep my letters safe and give
them to you when possible. Let us remain courageous and try to keep smiling,
though it is so hard. Sending this letter feels like tossing a small pebble
into the vast ocean, hoping it might somehow reach you at the bottom. It is so
difficult, beloved. I love you deeply, and it saddens me to think of what you
are enduring. If God allows us to be reunited and to love as Husband and wife,
I promise to be the best Husband I can be, giving you all of myself. You
deserve nothing less, and I will strive with all my strength to be worthy of
you.
Tomorrow—Friday—is the last day this week for the postman to
deliver letters. I pray for a word from you; otherwise, I must wait until
Tuesday, as Monday is Labor Day and no mail will come. The waiting is agony.
Next Tuesday also marks the start of a new phase in my life
as I begin work at the college Lionel-Groulx. I attended meetings with teachers
and a few students; things look promising, but I expect challenges, especially
regarding the relevance of my pastoral role. As a professor of psychology, I
must prepare thoroughly to offer excellent teaching. Though your absence makes
it hard to focus, I will strive to give my best, as our future depends on it.
I have not moved to St. Jérôme yet. With my small car, I
will commute for now, saving money until winter, when I may look for a place to
live there. Staying at home brings its own challenges—few people know I was a
priest, and my presence as a layman might cause surprise or even scandal, which
could affect my family. Although my family supports me and does not care about
the opinions of neighbors, I do not wish to trouble them more than necessary.
A few nights ago, I spoke with my mother about India, your
family, and your customs. She listened attentively as I described what I know
of your background, your traditions, and even the food. I told her how you find
our food bland compared to the spicy dishes you love, and how you avoid eating
beef. I want my mother to see you as someone exceptional, to appreciate your
ways—even if they differ from ours. I am confident you will be well accepted in
my family. They may initially regard you with awe and respect, but soon they
will appreciate and love you in their own way, supporting you if you ever need
help, just as they do for me now.
Though I talk about you coming here, I still hope I might be
the one to go to India, which I believe would be better for us. In a city like
New Delhi, you could visit your parents easily, and there would be other
advantages, provided I can secure a good position. After you leave your religious
Congregation, perhaps you can explore opportunities for me to work as a teacher
or hear of positions suitable for foreigners. Let us stay attentive for such
possibilities.
It is now Friday morning as I finish this letter, awaiting
the postman. Still, no letter from you. I must wait until Tuesday for any hope
of news. It is simply terrible, but I will endure the suffering with patience,
knowing that our love grows stronger and deeper with every passing minute.
After this, I will write to your brother-in-law regarding
the possibility of obtaining a visa as my fiancée, with the intention to marry
within three weeks of your arrival. Although a visitor visa remains an option,
the fiancée visa seems preferable. I worry only that your brother-in-law might
misunderstand my intentions, thinking I wish to delay our wedding. If you can,
please explain to him the challenges around my laicization and the need to
demonstrate financial responsibility for your arrival. If he does not
understand, I will obtain the necessary affidavit as soon as possible.
I have not yet answered Bernadette, Joe Hubert, and others
who have asked about my future. It is painful to explain my decisions
repeatedly, and I know I will face more questions when I go through the
laicization process. It is so hard to act according to one’s conscience and be
free. I hope your freedom comes quickly and that you will not have to justify
your choices as much as I have.
Time is passing quickly, and each moment brings us closer.
Our future may be uncertain, but I am sure it will be happier than our present
suffering. For now, life feels like hell—full of sadness, darkness, and
longing. I yearn for you, my beloved, “as a deer longs for running streams”. My
entire being is stretched in anticipation, waiting for the moment I can finally
hold you, kiss you, and share a home with you—a warm, joyful place where our
children will live in happiness. Though many obstacles remain, I believe our
happiness will come, rooted in our indestructible love.
![]() |
| Bala (Angel), Mary, Rajah, Lourdhu (Bala's sister and brothers) |
All that remains is to tell you, again, in every language
and in every possible way: Angel, my beloved wife, I love you - je t’aime, yo
te quiero. With all the non-verbal expressions of my eyes, lips, hands, and
heart, I assure you my love now is as deep and strong as it ever will be. I
prove my love through my faithfulness, my work, and all that I am. It is hard
not to see, hear, or touch you, but my love gives me the strength to endure.
Your Husband, who loves you infinitely with all his heart,
PremAA, André


No comments:
Post a Comment